Friday, August 1, 2008

aja = today

Kirstin teaching her deaf students photography. Abines, my cameraman, was on the roof filming. It should be great footage. This elderly woman walked by and they asked if they could photograph her... I talked to a lot of the kids (via translation, sign and Nepali). They said that their families don't know sign language, so the only time they get to talk to anyone is at school. They are really smart and talented kids with little opportunities. Nepal has 4 schools for the deaf period. They don't have the ADA requirements like we have here.
Abines and one of his assistants. He is so good at his job. I told him that I want him to come film for me where ever I go... hopefully Cambodia is next.

Today I spent the entire day filming. It was so amazing. I'm stoked about my projects. In addition to VSN stuff, I filmed a deaf school in a village about 2 hours away. The school is incredible. Stay tune for the film. I rode on a motorcycle with the cameraman ( I carried all of the equipment). The ride was breathtaking... all rice fields and villages... super green. It was one of my trip's highlights... the motorcycle ride there and back. I got to see Baktapur because Abines, my camera guy, decided to be a tour guide on the way there. Baktapur is gorgeous. I'll have to visit again next year. In Nepal it is taboo to touch the opposite sex, so I had to ride through rough terrain as you see here... I'm a pro now. It's funny that I feel safer on a motorcycle in the countryside of Nepal with no traffic rules than I do in a snow storm in US.
Today the children had a holiday from school because there was a partial solar eclipse. We had to stage everything. It was so cute. We had to dress the orphans and walk them to school. They were a little confused and irritated because they thought they had a holiday. As we walked with them to the school building in their uniforms, a million kids poked their heads out of the windows and asked if there was school. We had to keep telling them that we were just pretending.

This was the last day of service for Chelsie, Maddy, Cal and Sarah. They had an Easter egg hunt with the orphans at OCRC. It was so cute, and the children were so sad to see them go.

4 comments:

Gigi said...

Liz, your blog is amazing! The pics are incredible. Thanks for sharing your work with us. Over here in the States, we need to be more informed. Love you bunches, Gigi

Mikkyn said...

I have been wondering where you were for months and when I saw you on facebook it was soo cool. Wow! It looks like you are quite the traveler. I'd love to get back in touch with you.

Unknown said...

liz
its awosome! especially ur title ...Keep it up
NarKumar
http://www.narkumar.blogspot.com/

Laurie Logan said...

Love the stories and the pictures! Riding through the countryside on a motorcycle must of been such a wonderful way to explore.

What kind of sign language do you they use in Nepal? Not ASL, right?