Sunday, July 20, 2008

Future husband love...

This is part of a tent from the party the other day. I think the fabric is beautiful and it really represents the vibe here. For those of you that are new to the Hindu culture, the swastika is a holy symbol... no association with anything anti-semitic.

I've been doing a lot of shopping for our class and for the orphanage. Going to the fabric district of Kathmandu is so amazing. It is just filled with super bright colors and prints. Nothing that you would see in the US... we're so blahze.


So.... this month is husband month. It is celebrated by all women - married or single. The major tradition involves wearing green and yellow bangles (notice my sparkly bracelets ). Girls and women also get their hands "henna -ed". They do crazy cool designs on the palms of your hands with henna - then you wait several hours for it to dry and set. I was instructed to sleep with my palms up, which I did. Sujanna was my artist. I was her first client. We stayed up until the wee hours of the morning doing our hands - me and the dutch girls.

So, the darkness of the henna will predict how much your husband (or future husband) loves you. The darker the henna is on your hands, the better fortune you'll have in marriage. Interesting - eh? Every girl and women in Nepal has these bangles and henna hands. It's kind of cool because they don't even look twice when my palms are exposed. The henna on my hands looks different than Sujanna's because it is the drying paste

No comments: